Monday, October 11, 2021

MARK REVIEWS THE MARVEL CINEMATIC UNIVERSE: SHANG-CHI AND THE LEGEND OF THE TEN RINGS

 Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings poster.jpeg


  • I liked it a lot!
  • Especially in the first half of the movie, the focus on practical effects, physical stunts and sweet martial arts fights gave me the kind of action I like the best in a Marvel movie. The bus fight, in particular, was a very early highlight. The confined environment of this fight scene also reminded me of the elevator fight in The Winter Soldier, one of the best scenes in the whole franchise
  • Even the fight scenes which were CGI-enhanced still looked great. There was still a ton of athleticism and physicality, and the effects used for the titular ten rings were pretty cool
  • Midway through things got a lot more fantastical, a lot more CGI-heavy, but I didn't mind. They were showing us something we hadn't seen before, and the movie had already built up a lot of goodwill for me
  • Loved the connection to Iron Man 3, one of my favourites
  • I haven't seen Kim's Convenience, so this is the first time I've seen Simu Liu in anything. It's very cool to have a Canadian playing a Marvel hero, and I admired how many of his own stunts he did. Aside from that, his character didn't really pop for me like other Marvel heroes have, but I look forward to seeing more from him
  • And Awkwafina had a few good lines as Katy, but her "in over my head" schtick got a little old. Had a couple of nice moments during the climax, though
  • Tony Leung made for a complex, multi-faceted villain. I liked how he played a power-hungry tyrant, but they still gave him sympathetic motivation
  • I decided to go to the theatre to see this by myself, and I had a grand old time! I really don't understand why it's not more common to go to the movies by oneself. If you're a decent person, you're not talking to people during the movie anyway! I think I'm going to make this a more regular thing now that the theatres are open

No comments:

Post a Comment