Sunday, October 1, 2023

READERS' CHOICE #38: THE WARRIORS (1979)

 

THRILL SCALE 1-10

6.5

HAVE I SEEN IT BEFORE?

Never

BEST SEQUENCE

The bathroom fight between the Warriors and the Punks. In fact, I was going to give this movie a 6 on the Thrill Scale, but then I rewatched this scene and was like, "yeah, that's pretty good!" So I bumped the score up by half a point

BEST LINE

"I'll shove that bat up your ass and turn you into a popsicle"

ROTTEN TOMATOES SCORE

88%

ROTTEN TOMATOES CRITICS CONSENSUS

"As violent as it is stylish, The Warriors is a thrilling piece of pulp filmmaking."

IMDB SYNOPSIS

"A street gang known as The Warriors must fight their way from the Bronx to their home turf on Coney Island when they are falsely accused of assassinating a respected gang leader."

DIRECTOR

Walter Hill

MAIN CAST

Michael Beck, James Remar, Deborah Van Valkenburgh, David Patrick Kelly (I could list the rest of the guys who played the Warriors, but none of them were in much else)

THOUGHTS

  • I think I just wasn't on this movie's wavelength
  • Going into it, I had a pretty good idea of what the movie was about, but the main unknowns were what the movie would do with its premise and how violent it would be. There was some good fight choreography, but it all felt kind of bloodless. The thing is, I'm not entirely convinced that more realistic violence would have improved things, either, so this might just be a movie that didn't stand much of a chance with me
  • I admire the commitment to this absolutely ridiculous premise. It's a very sincere movie, and the tongue is far removed from the cheek, unless the self-awareness is pitched at a level which is imperceptible to me
  • It almost felt like the movie was writing checks it couldn't cash, what with the wide variety of creatively themed gangs shown in a couple of different montages, and then only a few of the gangs featuring in the plot of the movie itself. I was glad we got to see the Baseball Furies, though, they were pretty cool
  • They definitely cast a lot of guys who look pretty great while doing a whole lot of running
  • Some good needle drops, especially "Nowhere to Run," courtesy of the radio DJ character, who I liked as a plot technique. Fun fact, the DJ was only ever shown from the nose down, but if we'd seen her full face we might have recognized her as Lynne Thigpen, perhaps best known as The Chief from the Where in the World is Carmen Sandiego TV show
  • It was kind of hard to choose the best line for this one, as there were a few contenders. Runners-up would be David Patrick Kelly clinking the bottles on his fingers and whining "Warriors, come out to play-aaay," or Roger Hill bellowing "CAN YOU DIG IT?" to the huge assembly of gangs
  • Finally, I'm almost certain that the first time I ever heard of this movie would have been when Rockstar released the 2005 video game The Warriors. I bought the game but never played it. Having watched the movie, I can now absolutely understand why it would be a perfect choice for video game adaptation. A bunch of fistfights, with thematically different groups of enemies, and while running through different parts of New York, I wouldn't be at all surprised if The Warriors influenced the format of many other video games, especially some of the arcade brawlers out there. And, I'm happy to confirm, that since watching the movie I have repurchased the video game digitally, and eventually I'll (hopefully) get around to playing it
Up next: 2014's The Babadook

No comments:

Post a Comment