Thursday, May 9, 2019

CAPTAIN AMERICA: THE FIRST AVENGER

 Captain America The First Avenger poster.jpg

  • This movie achieves what it sets out to do. It's a good introduction to Steve Rogers and really solidifies his character
  • Despite that, I found it left me a little cold. I wasn't entirely sure why at first, until Ashley pointed out that it didn't have much levity. And it's true. For a sci-fi war movie about a super soldier battling a guy with a red skull for a head, this is a very sincere movie
  • I appreciate that the Marvel films play with the formula. If all 22 movies had the exact same tone, that would get really boring. However, I do enjoy the humour, the snark, and the more fun qualities of the ones I've seen so far. It's good to identify that this is the flavour of Marvel I like, as I think this will help me understand the later movies for what they bring to the table
  • As a shorter guy with a deep voice, I feel qualified to say that it's unnerving to hear Chris Evans' voice coming out of pre-Cap Steve Rogers
  • Hugo Weaving is probably the most effective villain in the movies so far. However, as of yet, none of the villains are nearly as interesting as the heroes. On the face of it, this might seem like a foregone conclusion. Of course you'd want the hero of your movie to be more interesting than the villain. However, this hasn't always been the case for the superhero genre. It's been said before, but in nearly every Batman movie, the villain is the most entertaining part. I like that the MCU provides charismatic heroes you can root for, but you can't deny the entertainment value provided by a magnetic villain on screen
  • By "magnetic villain" I'm not just specifically referring to Magneto
  • We took great pleasure in referring to him as Fucky Barnes
  • Howard Stark looks like a grown-up Neal from Freaks and Geeks
  • We are now in a post-Endgame world. Ashley and I were under no illusions that we could catch up in time, but we've managed to avoid spoilers so far. We'll see how long that can last, especially since we apparently can't even watch the trailer for Spider-Man: Far From Home. At least they included a spoiler warning
  • This is a long write-up. Fucky Barnes. Heh

No comments:

Post a Comment