Tuesday, June 11, 2019

IRON MAN 3

 Tony, as Iron Man in his battle damaged suit sitting with water around him, while his house behind is destroyed. Stark's Iron Legion is flying, while the Marvel logo with the film's title, credits and release date are below.

  • First time seeing it
  • Loved it
  • I probably laughed more at this movie than any of the others so far
  • Some very cool and creative action choreography in the sequences with partial and multiple Iron Man suits
  • I thought The Mandarin twist was hilarious, and Ben Kingsley was great as both the hammy, exaggerated initial villain, as well as the pathetic actor portraying him
  • Having said that, I was probably in the ideal position to enjoy this twist. I'm aware of comics, but not a consumer; I knew that the Mandarin was supposed to be a big deal, but I also wasn't let down by this movie undercutting him. I can understand people being disappointed with not seeing a sincere depiction of the villain. Worked for me, though. I thought it was a riot
  • Guy Pearce as the real villain was less interesting. Although they added some mutanty, X-Men-like abilities that haven't really been shown in these movies so far
  • Nice little heroic moment for Gwyneth Paltrow at the end
  • I liked that they took Tony out of the suit for a fair chunk of this movie. I thought it played with the Marvel formula in a successful way, added a new sensibility to the action, and Robert Downey Jr. certainly rose to the occasion. There are some who say this is more of a straight action movie than a superhero movie. I say that's a benefit of having a massive franchise like the MCU, they had more chances to try new things in different ways. I also say that the climax to this movie is pure Iron Man and superhero action
  • Despite liking action movies, and having a good idea of the Shane Black style, I believe this is the first Shane Black movie I've seen all the way through. From what I understand, he really put his stamp on this one, and I admire that level of craft when working within a franchise like this one
  • Considering I liked this one so much, I should definitely make it a priority to watch more of the movies Shane Black wrote or directed. Any suggestions?

No comments:

Post a Comment